Friday

The Shopocalypse




I recently saw this documentary "What Would Jesus Buy" about the commercialization of Christmas. I watched it with my wife who, it just so happens, is pretty fed up with Christmas. The past few years have went something like this: We buy a bunch of stuff, give it to a bunch of people who bought a bunch of stuff and gave it to us. The End.

Although we were not very impressed with the good Reverend Billy of the Church of Stop Shopping, we get it. We're addicted and have been "led like Sheeple to the Christmas slaughter." We have fallen prey to the wolf that is Walmart.

We started to think about what material items we have that we really would not want to wake up on Christmas morning without. Aside from the obvious and most important answers, shelter, clothing, indoor plumbing, the first thing that came to my mind was a plastic gorilla that I found in my grandpa's truck after he died. It is about 5 inches long and has definitely seen better days and to anybody else would no doubt be junk. However, to me it is priceless. This may not be a very good example because it was not actually a gift, but if it were, it would be the best gift I could have gotten. And, now, don't miss this, it was FREE. No long lines at Walmart, no back ordered Elmo dolls or Wii stations, no inconceivably ridiculous price for a piece of plastic that certainly won't make it until next Christmas.

I guess what I got most from this weird and mostly annoying movie was this, I have no idea what was the hot item for Christmas the year my grandpa died, but I'm pretty sure it was not a little plastic gorilla long forgotten that was on the dash of a beat-up old pickup.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  October 17, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

Nice try. I still want something good and expensive for xmas. Seriously, I couldn't agree more. Now, when should I send my Birthday wish list?

-Nando

Anonymous,  October 19, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

I know what you mean.

I read this today, "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less."

From the book Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman.

Anonymous,  October 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM  

Thanks for the comments my brother and sister. Nando, I' will be sure to get you a copy of the Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman.

Anonymous,  October 24, 2008 at 5:58 PM  

You hit the nail on the head! So, does this mean that we aren't getting that vacation to Hawaii from ya'll? I promise I would be careful to watch out for the 30ft waves :)

Anonymous,  October 26, 2008 at 3:54 PM  

Sorry, no Hawaii this year, however, I've heard that the rates to say... West Virginia are really good this time of year. Just kidding. Thanks for the comments.

Anonymous,  December 15, 2008 at 4:08 AM  

I personally am pretty much a scrooge when it comes to Christmas and gift giving. Yes I grew up in a house hold where gifts were given and such...but we were also taught the TRUE meaning of Christmas and therefore the only HOLIDAY I support is Jesus' birthday... Granted when and if we have kids they will get gifts and such...but they also will be taught the TRUE meaning of Christmas and that it is better to GIVE than to recieve!

Anonymous,  December 16, 2008 at 6:32 AM  

I see we're on the same choir (or carolling) page.

(Word verification was reeratth. As in the rath of one's reer, pertaining to the vengeful widening of one's behind during the holiday gorge?)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP